Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thanksgiving Day 2016, 11/24/2016: What is thanksgiving without God?


We all know at least a little something about the Pilgrims’ who had that first (now famous) sit down dinner of thanks with the locals, local natives who, by God’s mercy, had graciously helped the Pilgrims to survive the New England weather for over a year. At that dinner, that assembly of souls was not watching TV or playing on cell phones, nor were they talking football, commenting on secular and commercial parade floats, rising musicians, or movie stars. Instead, that gathered company of survivors counted the mercies that God had poured out to sustain them, despite half of them having died since they first landed on the edge of this land. God and His mercy was the focus of their thanks. Will He and His mercies to us, also, be the praise of our lips throughout our meal and day?

 

In our modern world, for the most part, we silence ourselves about Jesus Christ (our Creator) and His Word, in favor of those worldly things that titillate and amuse us. We are eager to fill our mouths at God's bountiful table, but we are reluctant to let our mouths openly and unashamedly give Him the real thanks and praise that is due to Him alone. How many quick ‘thanks for the grub’ prayers will be offered, and then God forgotten, this day? How many of us will allow Him to prompt us to tell others about even a few of His merciful loving works in our lives?

 

Bless God for His Word and His Christ, by which we can and must test and prove ourselves and all things. Let all thanks and glory be unto Him to whom we shall give answer for all that we do or neglect to do.

 

This year I am grateful that God has sustained me through many trials, of all sorts. Some trials, I failed, because I neglected to do things His way. Yet, I bless the Lord Jesus Christ for His Word by which I have been able to see where I have erred, that I might repent and grow in what is good in His mind. I bless Him that He has sustained me, including through recurrences of post-shingles discomforts and war wounds acting up. I bless Him that he has helped me to keep reading His Word. I thank God that He continually reminds me to stay focused on Him instead of on earthly things. I thank Him that I’m still healing from the reflux lung damage that occurred late last winter. I bless God that He is still teaching me about His ways. I bless Him that I’m still learning fiscal and social skills and responsibility. I bless God that He helps me keep moving and reaching out to other people, despite all the aches and pains that come with this aging body, and despite the struggles of forgetfulness. I bless God for my huge family and vast number of friends and acquaintances, and that I’m still learning how to interact with people. I praise God for His mission of sharing Jesus Christ with others. I especially thank Him for His promise of eternal hope, peace, and life with Him in Christ Jesus, and that that is God's greatest gift of all to me and to all humanity. I thank God that, as the song says, “this world is not my home, I’m just passing through”, as I learn, trust, obey, repent, and put into practice what His Holy Spirit and Word would have me learn and do. This life is not about me and what I want, but about God and my relationship with Him, on His terms.

 

May God bless you and keep you in all that is good in His heart, mind, and Word. May this Thanksgiving Day 2016, be truly a day of thanks and gathering to God's glory and to His praise, in all our words and deeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment