Wednesday, November 12, 2014

God Holds Us To Our Oaths



Remembering Our Oath and Duty
For God Holds Us To Our Oaths

I salute all who have promised,
and followed through on their promise,
to support and defend our Constitution,
for that is a lifelong commitment
that never expires.
 
I send my gratitude
to all who preceded my own military service.
I send my gratitude
to all who served with me,
during times of hurry-up-and-wait
and in the frenzy of combat.
I send my gratitude
to all who have served,
and shall yet determine to serve,
since I left the military.

My thanks to you, one and all,
from privates to generals,
from clerks and cooks to foot sloggers,
from air jockeys to black ops personnel.
Despite our competitiveness and name-calling,
between services and units,
yet our scrappiness has proved
that we could, and can, be ready
at a moment’s notice
to engage those enemies,
“foreign and domestic”
that seek to deprive us,
and our nation,
of our Inalienable Rights.

Craig M. Szwed: 2014-11-11: Veterans' Day

No comments:

Post a Comment